Skip to main content

Lyft is my hustle


Do you see this stack of money?  it is not even that much.  $2,500.  I easily make this each month

Yet I still get push back from friends and family who perhaps do not understand the beauty and awesomeness of the gig economy.  "Get a real job", they say.  "I just worry about you", they explain.

Listen...  Worrying about me is not going to pay my bills, nor are my friends and family.  Besides that worry does stem from ignorance about the rideshare platforms and fueled concern from the media's fear mongering tactics for ratings.

You will hear about scary encounters with Lyft from Drivers and Passengers alike, but consider that there are millions of people and the amount of cases compared to the actual number of users is small.  In any situation in life there is risk because there will always be shitty human beings.

For me, yes, I had a few awkward experiences but nothing majorly bad.  Every experience was one I was able to de-escalate or completely prevent from becoming a regrettable one.  I also had crazy experiences which I found funny, entertaining, and amusing, and while my skittish friends and family who just worry about me would not be able to handle that, I thrive in those situations... after all, they would say it themselves that I am "crazy" when they really meant fearless and bold.  

Others would try to argue with me that I am not making money because of the wear and tear on my vehicle.  The truth is I would much rather pay my bills than worry about the resale value of my vehicle.  Wear and tear can be written off come tax time, and so can mileage. At the end of the year I don't pay many taxes because of the depreciation of my car and expenses to run by entrepreneurship, which is exactly what the gig economy is.  At the end of the year, I do end up keeping the vast majority of my earnings.

There are drivers who complain and people who are not drivers but assume and complain that rideshare drivers only earn pennies on the dollar but I assure you, you are doing your taxes all wrong!

Yes, we have to worry about our own health care and retirement, but if you have the sense and will power, that is so easy to do.  One of the arguments my family would throw my way was that a real job offers benefits.  I used to work on the benefits side of business and let me tell you, it does come out of your paycheck.  As your own boss it is up to you to give yourself those same benefits.  If you set up a real corporation, you can write off the benefits, however there are tax incentives for signing onto the Healthcare Marketplace thanks to the Affordable Care Act.  There are also insurances for disability, workers compensation, etc, which you can write off as an independent contractor.  At the end of the year it is the same thing as your benefits as a traditional 9-5 job.

But the thing I love most is that I can earn $2500 a month easily, putting in the work and hours of course, but honestly never quite reaching 40 hours a week.  Some months aren't as good and others are better. Over all, I get the flexibility of making my own schedule, the excitement of having a different experience with every passenger, and the stress relief of cruising in a city and county I so very much love. 

But, I love driving around in my car so this is a good fit for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BFC Ink Doll Collection Complete!!

Well, if it isn't obvious, I got into doll collection, but I suppose I always was a doll collector, just not really by choice as my mom would buy me a porcelain doll every year for my birthday until I moved away for college, but even then I still got porcelain dolls as gifts from her and other members of my family. Over the years of course I have collected dolls from the 80's like the Kimberly doll by Tommy, and of course Barbie...  then I got into repainting Bratz dolls the past couple of years and added Monster High to the list of dolls to look for at flea markets etc... But one day, by chance I came across the now out of production MGA Entertainment 18" BFC Ink (Best Friends Club Ink) dolls.  These dolls are way cuter, in my opinion, than American Girl Dolls (which I really do not like at all actually) or Journey Girls etc...  They have a hard body all the way and were made in two types.  The first productions were just all vinyl bodies, much like the Wellie Wisher

Out of State visits - Friends, Fishing, and Sunsets in San Diego

I met my buddy Kurt years ago through my music performance endeavors.  Kurt runs Scene Wars Collective and organizes the Anti-Competition showcase cross-country.  When I met him he had reached out to me about my band Blackwater Prophecy and ended up booking it and the other band I was a part of at the time which sadly no longer exists. He lives in Missouri so it was difficult for him to make it out the first time he booked me, but eventually he was able to make it to California when he booked me along with my then band mate for a small show. We got to meet and hang out in San Diego that night which of course solidified the connection as now I had a face to put to the name. Since then I have even gotten the opportunity to work with Kurt helping him book bands too, but ultimately my schedule didn't allow for his late night calls to discuss bookings... I may be a night owl, but I am not about working remotely at night.  In any case I've known him for several years now and he fina

Am I a feminist?

Lets clear this up... I am not so much a feminist as I am an equalist. Women.Women sit here and complain about men and how they are treated by men when the reality is those women allow it to happen, and I am not saying this as some people would say rape is the victims fault... NO! I am saying, if he is not treating you as a person, cut him off! BUT... Same goes for men.  Men complain about women too. OK, if you feel she is taking advantage of you then cut her off. If you cannot stand her, then break up with her. Stop wasting her time and hiding behind wanting to be the good guy cause really you are being more of a jerk that way... and again.. same for women. Women who date the nice guy... I don't really like him, no chemistry, but he's sooo nice, I can't hurt him. To those chicks... you're a jerk! And you'll ruin him for the next girl who can appreciate him more. So my point. Objectification goes both ways. Exploitation is a two way street. Everyone can